- Stunning villa, location and owners very friendly and so generous. Pure Bliss!
- Vrisses is known for its yoghurt, so I breakfasted on Greek yoghurt and honey, a meal I still fantasise about, but have so far found it impossible to find yoghurt here as thick and creamy as in Crete. Cretan dining is very simple, deliciously fresh ingredients. One of my favourite meals was a plate of sliced courgette fried in a little flour. We dined at Kostas’s tavern several nights, sitting outside in the square under the bougainvillaea. There was no menu, and it was some of the most delicious food I’ve ever eaten. He’d open with a Greek salad — I’d never understood the appeal of the Greek salad, have one here in Ireland and it generally just tastes of cold. In Crete though, a beef tomato is as sweet as a cherry tomato. The main course was always some sort of melt-inthe-mouth meat, done in herbs, various vegetables sauteed or fried, cheese pies, and homemade wine. A threecourse meal for two, with wine, was around €35. After several days lounging by our private pool, we decided to venture out in search of a beach. We headed to the village of Kalives, about a 20-minute drive away. A real village, as opposed to a purely tourist resort, it has the air of a 70s destination — nothing is too new, there’s no high-rise, nothing too overdeveloped. The beach is sandy — not always the case in Crete. We whiled away many afternoons here; reading, getting in the water when it got too hot, and lunching in one of the beachside restaurants — pasta with a tomato and herb sauce and some sauteed vegetables was my favourite. There are full cooking facilities in all the houses, and if you want to do a grocery shop there are supermarkets everywhere; food is a little cheaper than here. When we were done with lounging, we drove back to Chania, where we had flown into, about an hour drive away. Chania is the second largest city in Crete, but once you get into the old town, it feels like a cosy market town. After a few hours wandering, the husband had hit his limit for shopping, and we made our way down to the Venetian harbour.
This impressive stone-built property is set amongst olive groves and cypress trees with breath-taking views across the countryside to the White Mountains. It is just five minutes drive to the charming village of Vrisses with its tavernas and shops, and ten minutes to both the golden sands of Georgioupolis and the spectacular Lake Kournas.
Villa Nikos is a grand three bedroom stone-built property with its own family pool with child section. It has a lawned private garden with a spacious ground floor terrace for alfresco dining.
The ground floor is divided by a traditional Cretan archway between a comfortable living room with fireplace and the dining area fitted kitchen. It has a twin bedroom and bathroom with shower. The first floor has a double bedroom, twin bedroom and a second bathroom with bath and shower. The bedrooms share a large balcony with panoramic views from the enchanting rural setting towards the White Mountains.
The owner, Nikos has a small farm and vegetable garden and offer complimentary fresh vegetables and eggs to guests, as available.
Nearby Vrisses is well known for its charming shaded riverside tavernas and its local sheep’s yoghurt. It has a variety of shops, a bank and bakery.
- Private pool 3m x 5m with child section (Pool depth 0.4m-1.3m)
- Pay as You go Internet available – please ask for details
- Air conditioning
- Countryside location and Mountain views
- 10 minute drive to Blue Flag beaches, tavernas and shops at Georgioupolis
- 10 minute drive to Lake Kournas, with fresh water swimming, pedalos and a choice of lake-side tavernas
- 20-30 minute walk to Vrisses
- Sister house, Villa Eletheria available for larger parties up to 12
**WIFI – This property has a mobile router for pay-as-you-go Wifi connection. Up to 5 devices (laptop, phones, tablet) can be connected to the Wifi at the same time. Please note this is not designed for heavy use such watching films online and continuous browsing, but is fine for checking emails, using whats app and for short browsing periods etc.
Please note that due to the location of our properties the mobile signal may work only in certain parts of the property e.g. on an outdoor balcony
EOT MHTE 10 42K 10 00 00499 00