Neo Chorio Village
The village of Neo Chorio (sometimes also spelt Neo Horio or Nio Horio) lies 25km from Chania, in the Apokoronas region. The village was mentioned by Edward Lear in his 1865 Cretan Journal.
The small village centre is located just a few hundred meters from Villa Chryssa (see above)
On the hill above the village stands an old fort, Koules. The fort is not well preserved, with only a few walls left standing. It was built by the Turks at the site of a preexisting Venetian tower. Koules was composed of a central, rectangular building with two semicircular artillery towers on the east and the west side. Another smaller fort was built on the opposite peak.
There are two small tavernas in Neo Chorio village and a couple of cafes. Opposite the church in the village square the small café/taverna (Krisoula’s) serves delicious cheap souvlaki meat on skewers. Next to the church is another small summer taverna. There are many other tavernas in Stilos, Armeni and Kalives.
There is a well stocked mini market in the village.
The village of Neo Chorio is situated between the villages of Armeni and Stilos, on the old road to Rethymnon and just 4km from Kalives.
The village and coastal resort of Kalives, has numerous shops, a large supermarket, pharmacies, petrol stations, a bank, ATM’s, tavernas, cafes, and a good beach.. it can cater for most of your needs.