- Over in the West, in the rolling, rural foothills between the ancient port of Chania and the glorious White Mountains, is a Crete that seems frozen in time, along with its unpretentious tavernas, its farming villages, its gorgeous orange groves, its twisting mountain roads, and its secret gorges. To be a tourist here almost seems a crime; you feel that you might somehow dislodge the delicate workings of a society that gives off an aura of absolute tranquillity. (By Richard Morrison)
Another delightful stay at Artemis! We could have sat on the beautiful terrace with the mulberry tree shading us all day long gazing at the fabulous view of the White Mountains in the distance!
Artemis’ House is a traditional stone-built house that offers a romantic hideaway with spectacular Mountain views. After many years standing empty it has been restored with loving care and traditional methods to provide a comfortable and charming retreat looking over Aptera village in North West Crete and up to the White Mountains. Its large veranda has a low wall and a mature mulberry tree which provides ample shade at this lovely villa.
** 25% Discount throughout August £612 for 1 week accommodation only, available between 12 August and 03 September**
Fully fitted kitchen with original features including bread oven, living room with Cretan archway; sofabed, bathroom with shower & double bedroom with air-conditioning.
The tavernas at the Aptera village square are 1/2 mile away. The stunning sandy beach at Blue Beach is around 4 miles away, with further shops and amenities a mile beyond this in the lovely small town of Kalives with more sandy beaches.
- Traditional Cretan Cottage
- Spacious Terrace with garden furniture for al-fresco meals and sun loungers
- Air con in bedroom
- Stunning views towards the White Mountains
- Village location with choice of 3 tavernas and a local store which gets a fresh bread delivery
- 4 miles away from Blue Flag beaches at Kalives with beachside tavernas selling fresh fish and local produce – see below
“The west is an understated rural concoction of unexploited villages, scattered coves, lush valleys and most spectacularly, a great vista of mountains snow-capped up to June. It is in the valleys and hills that edge them that you will find the lovely, unspoiled Crete. We stayed in a tiny hillside hamlet, Megala Chorafia, in a traditional village house” Sally Bodesworth
” A truly wonderful holiday. Our second stay at Artemis and we are sure we will be back there again another year. The view from the wonderful patio is fabulous, and changes all day as the light changes. The mulberry tree casts a mobile shadow, so that any time of day one can sit in the shade if so minded and drink in the varying views” Mr B. Devon
EOT MHTE 10 42K 121K 000 63 00