- ....But if you are going to be a tourist, do what we did. Rent a marvellous old Farmhouse. We went to an Anglo-Cretan company, Pure Crete, that specialises in using local craftsman and materials to restore old properties. Our walls were a yard thick; great stone slabs paved the floor;archways and huge urns proclaimed our Grecian surroundings as clearly as the words that drifted up from the people harvesting avocados just below our balcony. Then eat and more importantly, drink in the local tavernas, where the hospitality flows as freely as olive oil over the feta salad. Walk the lanes which, in late spring, are fringed by as colourful carpet of wild flowers as anywhere in Europe...By Richard Morrison
Filippa’s House dates back to 1863 and has been lovingly restored and beautifully furnished by the great grandson of the original owner.
Douliana is a small pretty quiet traditional stone-built village with narrow flower filled streets and a tiny village square, sitting above Souda Bay surrounded by olive groves with views to the white mountains, 25 km from Chania town. A hidden gem, Douliana is a protected hilltop village surrounded by olive trees, vineyards and smallholdings. Wild flowers, mountain herbs and Horta can all be found in the neighbouring hedgerows.
The village boasts a cafe and grocery store with fresh bread, a traditional taverna famous for its lamb in the oven.
Sandy beaches are a short drive (5km) at Kalives and Almerida. Kera beach is also within a 25 minute walk, whilst the administrative centre for the region Vamos, with its quaint shops, traditional buildings, village cooperative and excellent tavernas, is just 2km away.
Enter the house via a small private vine covered courtyard (with table and chairs and bbq). Living room with sofas and traditional fireplace. Fully fitted kitchen. Bathroom with shower. Wifi.
Bedroom with double bed (and fold-out sofa bed) air conditioning and ceiling fan. Door leading out to a large sun terrace with beautiful views across the countryside and towards the mountains and comfortable seating.
- Romantic Traditional House with Cretan features and lovely views
- Picturesque village location walking distance to tavernas
- air con and full wifi/broadband
- Beaches and other villages are a short drive away:- Vamos, Gavalochori, Almerida, Kalives
- Chania Harbour 45 mins drive
EOT MHTE 1042K9100320331