- Over in the West, in the rolling, rural foothills between the ancient port of Chania and the glorious White Mountains, is a Crete that seems frozen in time, along with its unpretentious tavernas, its farming villages, its gorgeous orange groves, its twisting mountain roads, and its secret gorges. To be a tourist here almost seems a crime; you feel that you might somehow dislodge the delicate workings of a society that gives off an aura of absolute tranquillity. (By Richard Morrison)
** 50% Discount throughout August £601 for 1 week accommodation only, available between 24 August and 03 September**
Standing alone (in foreground) and commanding magnificent views over Souda Bay is Katerina’s. This traditionally built property is within easy walking distance of a quiet beach reached from the property via a private path through the vines. It is also possible to walk 1/2 mile to a traditional kafenion and taverna in nearby Kalami. The house is accessed by car via a lane from Kalami.
Set between the Turkish fortress of Izeddin and the coastal road towards Kalives and Rethymnon is Kalami with its cafe, taverna and a secluded sandy beach (pictured) with a small jetty offering opportunities for fishing. Kalives, with its tavernas, beautiful sandy beach, shops, supermarket, bank and post office, is just 5 minutes drive away.
The main part of the property is the large penthouse which has two floors and extensive balconies from which to admire the sea view.
- Cretan archway partitions the spacious dining area from the living area (with Cretan fireplace) and fully equipped kitchen.
- Small WC with hand basin and a washing machine.
- Above the living room and kitchen is a bathroom and two bedrooms (one twin and one double with king-size bed both with air con) divided by a wooden wall
- Central heating. Solar panel.
- Flatscreen TV with Satellite TV (Freeview )
- Cafe and taverna (seasonal opening) 1/2 mile, nearest beach 400yds, other beaches 1 mile, shops 2 miles
Children should be supervised on the terrace at all times
“As usual, to stay in Katerinas Penthouse was a joy. Anna and Costas are the best hosts possible” Mrs M. Hertfordshire
Below:- Blue Beach, Kalives Harbour and fish taverna