- Over in the West, in the rolling, rural foothills between the ancient port of Chania and the glorious White Mountains, is a Crete that seems frozen in time, along with its unpretentious tavernas, its farming villages, its gorgeous orange groves, its twisting mountain roads, and its secret gorges. To be a tourist here almost seems a crime; you feel that you might somehow dislodge the delicate workings of a society that gives off an aura of absolute tranquillity. (By Richard Morrison)
Standing alone (in foreground) and commanding magnificent views over Souda Bay is Katerina’s. This traditionally built property is within easy walking distance of a quiet beach reached from the property via a private path through the vines. It is also possible to walk 1/2 mile to a traditional kafenion and taverna in nearby Kalami. The house is accessed by car via a lane from Kalami.
Set between the Turkish fortress of Izeddin and the coastal road towards Kalives and Rethymnon is Kalami with its cafe, taverna and a secluded sandy beach (pictured) with a small jetty offering opportunities for fishing. Kalives, with its tavernas, beautiful sandy beach, shops, supermarket, bank and post office, is just 5 minutes drive away.
The main part of the property is the large penthouse which has two floors and extensive balconies from which to admire the sea view.
- Cretan archway partitions the spacious dining area from the living area (with Cretan fireplace) and fully equipped kitchen.
- Small WC with hand basin and a washing machine.
- Above the living room and kitchen is a bathroom and two bedrooms (one twin and one double with king-size bed both with air con) divided by a wooden wall
- Central heating. Solar panel.
- Flatscreen TV with Satellite TV (Freeview )
- Cafe and taverna (seasonal opening) 1/2 mile, nearest beach 400yds, other beaches 1 mile, shops 2 miles
Children should be supervised on the terrace at all times
“As usual, to stay in Katerinas Penthouse was a joy. Anna and Costas are the best hosts possible” Mrs M. Hertfordshire
Below:- Blue Beach, Kalives Harbour and fish taverna