- A lovely property and very friendly and helpful landlord and Pure Crete rep. We'd love to come again! Thank you.
- This was one of the best holidays we have ever had. Our house in Aptera was perfect - nice and airey in the heat, full of character and stunning views across Souda Bay. Michilis. the owner, is such a lovely person and we had many interesting conversations with him whenever he was there looking after the accommodation and gardens. We could have stayed much longer!
- We ate every night at the tiny Taverna Aptera where the food was the best I have ever had in Greece. Not a sign of moussaka or souvlaki. Instead there was lamb with lettuce in an egg and lemon sause, black-eyed beans with fennel, salt codfish in filo pastry. The taverna made all the difference to our stay. It meant minimal shopping (bread, yogurt, oranges - all local - for breakfast) and no need to use the car at night. It was a full moon while we were there and the walk back up the track to the house, if occassionally unsteady, was always a pleasure. Anna Pavord
- There is nothing joyous about being woken up by a screeching cockerel at the crack of dawn. But in rural Crete you come to accept it, like the sea of bleating goats which block the mountain tracks every morning. The rustic charm of the island is epitomised in the village of Megala Chorafia near the Venetian port of Chania. With its cinematic backdrop of the White Mountains, the hamlet has a thriving community who farm the olive groves and vineyards. We stayed above a farmhouse, complete with donkey and goats, owned by the local Botonakis family; its balcony overlooking the deep blue bay of Souda was a haven of calm - despite the cockerel. The holiday was organised by Pure Crete Ltd.
Offering panoramic views across Souda Bay, the Metoche Botonakis Family House is a spacious dwelling in a quiet setting within walking distance of a choice of tavernas in the village square of Aptera. It is just five minute drive to a choice of quiet beaches and has wifi. The private terrace behind the house has sun loungers and table and chairs to eat ‘al fresco’ whilst admiring the spectacular view.
40% Discount in August (06-16) Accommodation only book here
The property has a spacious and comfortable interior with a Cretan fireplace downstairs and a log burning stove upstairs for the Spring and Autumn evenings.The thick stone walls and sea breezes help to keep the property naturally cool throughout the summer months. There are sitting rooms on both floors.
- Ground Floor: large living/dining room with sofa and traditional corner fireplace, dining table and chairs with marble floors and beamed ceilings throughout. Newly installed sliding patio doors onto the terrace, now offering panoramic views from within the property.
- Stone Cretan Archway to fully fitted kitchen with electric cooker, fridge etc.
- Private terrace behind house for sunbathing with sea views accessed via sliding patio doors. Table and chairs to eat ‘al fresco’ and sunloungers.
- First Floor: spacious lounge with marble floors and panoramic views from the balcony.
- Twin bedroom with air-con and double bedroom with ceiling fan.
- Family bathroom with shower and bath.
- Walking distance to choice of tavernas and village shop
- 5 minutes drive to Blue Beach
- 7 minutes drive to Kalives beach, tavernas and shops
- 20 minute drive to Venetian port of Chania
“Metoche Family House during summer holidays was bliss. We went to different beaches each day and most nights just stroll down to a taverna to eat and drink without having worry about driving back. The views in the day and stars out at night were heavenly. The night-time breeze through the house kept us cool at night so we didn’t need the air-con but the WIFI was useful” Dr V Fry and family
The Family House is one of three romantic dwellings – The Metoche Properties each of unique charm and character. Each has its own separate patio for private sunbathing and sea views. In the Eastern “Metoche” part of the village, they are locally owned by the charming and attentive Michalis, up on the road towards the Aptera ruins. The original large eighteenth century farmhouse has thick stone walls which ensure it is cool throughout the long summer months. Each enjoys its own privacy and separate entrance from the pretty courtyard. Aptera village is 1/2 mile with a choice of tavernas and village store with nearest sandy beaches 4 miles away at Kalives and Kalami beach 3 miles away.
Below:- Kalives harbour, Kalami beach, Kalives beach , Almerida and Blue beach
“There is nothing joyous about being woken up by a screeching cockerel at the crack of dawn. But in rural Crete you come to accept it, like the sea of bleating goats which block the mountain tracks every morning. The rustic charm of the island is epitomised in the village of Megala Chorafia near the Venetian port of Chania. With its cinematic backdrop of the White Mountains, the hamlet has a thriving community who farm the olive groves and vineyards.
We stayed above a farmhouse, complete with donkey and goats, owned by the local Botonakis family; its balcony overlooking the deep blue bay of Souda was a haven of calm – despite the cockerel. The holiday was organised by Pure Crete Ltd.”
“The village has settled down for the night and I have climbed onto the roof to find a warm breeze with a slight scent of the sea and wonderful, magic views in four directions. The fifth direction is upwards to a sky with more stars than I would have believed possible. The temptation to lie down here and count constellations and to gaze beyond the Milky Way into eternity is almost irresistible… “Robert Booth
EOT MHTE 10 42 K 12 1K 00637 0 0