- We stayed in Villa Aloni, in the village of Maza, and as we drove into the village we were greeted by the sight of a tall, beaming Greek man waving enthusiastically while maintaining an outdoor grill from which emanated delicious smells of meat and thyme. This was Kostas, the village's only tavern-owner. The large private gardens of Villa Aloni were elevated from the road, had beautiful views of the surrounding countryside, and a private pool. The house sleeps five and includes two bedrooms, a large living room/kitchen/dining room.........Vrisses is know for its yoghurt, so i breakfasted on Greek yoghurt and honey, a meal i still fantasise about, but have so far found it impossible to find yoghurt here as thick and creamy as in Crete. Cretan dining is very simple, deliciously fresh ingredients. One my favourite meals was a plate of sliced courgette fried in a little flour. We dined at Kostas' taverna several nights, sitting outside in the square outside the bougainvillea. There was no menu, and it was some of the most delicious food I've ever eaten. (By Liadan Hynes)
Villa Aloni stands in its own beautifully maintained grounds. A traditional stone-built house offering a rare combination of tranquillity, creature comforts, excellent amenities and its own private pool. This makes it both a popular romantic retreat for couples whilst also ideal for family holidays.
The name ‘Aloni’ refers to the circular stone-threshing floor used in the past to separate the grain from the chaff, which is still a beautiful feature in the garden.
This luxury villa is ideal for all times of year, with air conditioning, central heating and a Cretan fireplace. The Villa has a spacious double bedroom, a large twin bedroom with a double and a single bed and a sofa-bed in the living area. It has a fully equipped kitchen and a newly fitted bathroom with washing machine.
Villa Aloni benefits from its own private pool and has the added feature of an outside shower ideal for rinsing off after a dip.
There is a friendly Cafeneion in the sleepy village square, within walking distance of Villa Aloni. Perfect for people watching in an evening and serving good simple Cretan food, often from the bbq and washed down with good local wine. Opposite is the small Byzantine chapel of Agios Nikolas which contains frescoes dating back to 1326.
- Private swimming pool (8m x 4m and 1.2m x 1.7m in depth, no child section)
- Wifi Available
- Air conditioning
- Off the beaten track but within walking distance of a cafeneion
- Blue Flag Beaches of Georgiopoli 10 min drive
- ATM, bakery, supermarket and tavernas 5 min drive in Vrisses
The top 10 villa holidays in Greece
Our experts’ pick of the top 10 self-catering and villa holidays in Greece for 2015, in destinations including Crete, Mykonos, Hydra and Póros
Sunday 11 January 2015
5. Apokóronas Village Houses, Crete
The green, hilly Apokóronas region of western Crete is conveniently handy to Haniá airport, and town . We especially like Próvarma village and its Aliki’s House (for up to five), and Villa Aloni (similar capacity, with pool) in tiny Máza hamlet. Many properties have Wi-Fi and are available from late March – both unusual traits for rural Greek villas. Pure Crete offers both flight-inclusive and accommodation-only prices for those preferring to make their own travel arrangements.