- A Perfect retreat, our 4th Pure Crete holiday and the accommodation gets better and better. So quiet, so natural and such friendly locals
- We absolutely loved it!
- Beautiful villa, on arrival the fridge was stocked with cheese, milk, eggs wine etc. We also had bread, olive oil and washing powder! Everything we needed. Very helpful owner, friendly welcome at the taverna which is only 5 minutes walk away. Perfect villa and locataion, the pictures in the brochure do not do it justice
- The best villa holiday we have ever had. 10 stars
- Our first visit to Villa Maza and we loved its tranquil and scenic location, giving us a new area to explore. Costas and Voula were friendly and welcoming, providing us with some memorable meals at his cafenion.
- The day before our holiday we had a problem that Louise at Pure Crete managed brilliantly which helped enormously. The Villa Maza provided the perfect canvas for one of our most relaxing abd romantic holidays. Everything was perfect for long, lazy days by the pool. The shady patio is beautifully cool and perfectly sited to catch the setting sun. The Maza Taverna (a 5 minute walk away) could not have been betterd. The inestimable Costas was unfailingly charming, generous and along with his wife, a superb chef. The food is of the highest quality:fresh, authentically Cretan and 5 star service. A perfect holiday. Thank you so much Pure Crete,
- You love the idea of splendid isolation in a remote villa, but wouldn't it be nice to have somewhere lively to stroll in the evening? Here's the ideal compromise. Villa Maza, which sleeps six, is tucked away on the edge of Maza village (pop:100), in the foothills of the White Mountains, and it's peaceful as you could wish. A five-minute wander down the track, however, takes you to the main square and one of the best little kafeions in Crete. It's a couple of gossiping pensioners by day, but in the evening locals flock from miles around for Voula's simple but excellent home cooking and the banter of chummy Kostas, who has a habit of breaking into song without warning. It's all rather fab, and the Blue Flag beaches at Giorgopoli are just 10 minutes drive away.
“Top one hundred greatest holidays on the planet”
Villa Maza in the sleepy village of Maza, North West Crete, is a charming house with a private pool in a quiet rural location that makes an ideal choice for either families or as a secluded romantic hideaway for couples and honeymooners.
The House is traditionally built on one level in Cretan stone. It stands alone commanding stunning views across the lush green valley to the White Mountains beyond. It has extensive lawned gardens surrounding the house and a large private pool. Its terraces and gardens provide a perfect setting for sunbathing during the day and al fresco meals in the evening.
Villa Maza is fitted and furnished to a very high standard with stone floors, wooden ceiling, Cretan arches and traditional wooden furnishings. The kitchen is fully equipped and includes a dishwasher, washing machine, full cooker and fridge freezer. The large living room/dining room has two comfortable sofas and a fireplace, tv and dvd and a dining table with chairs. There are three bedrooms; one double, one twin and one single (which has an extra full-sized pull out bed beneath the single bed) .
All are air conditioned. The double and single bedrooms have French doors leading on to the terrace. The bathroom is beautifully tiled and provides both a bath and shower.
Villa Roussa – the sister house of Villa Maza is located within the village a short walk away and can be combined together for parties of up to 12
- The private swimming pool measures 8.4m x 4m with a depth of 1.45m to 1.75m
- Pay as you go Internet available – please ask for details ** see below
- Off the beaten track location
- 5 mins walk to Costa’s taverna
- 15 mins drive to Blue Flag beaches at Georgioupolis and Fresh Water Lake Kournas
- TV and DVD Player
- 10 min drive to Vrisses with ATM machine, supermarket, bakery, river-side tavernas, pharmacy
- Air conditioned bedrooms
- 30 min drive to Rethymnon
- 35 min drive to Chania
(Small children’s pool at one end separated by a barrier, 0.63m in depth.)
Clients are reminded that they should take all proper precautions in the pool area at all times.
**WIFI – This property has a mobile router for pay-as-you-go WIFI connection. Up to 5 devices (laptop, phones, tablet) can be connected to the WIFI at the same time. Please note this is not designed for heavy use such watching films online and continuous browsing, but is fine for checking emails, using WhatsApp and for short browsing periods etc.
Please note that due to the location of our properties the mobile signal may work only in certain parts of the property e.g. on an outdoor balcony
Maza is a small village of just 100 inhabitants in the foothills of the mountains, surrounded by lush fertile valleys and with wonderful views, located half way between Chania and Rethymnon.
Costas and Voula own and run the friendly Cafeneion (cafe/taverna) in the sleepy village square, within walking distance of Villa Maza. Perfect for people watching in an evening. Daily specials, cooked by Voula , are served, including fresh salads, vegetable dishes and meat or fish off the grill as well as a selection of drinks. You will receive a warm welcome here. Opposite is the small Byzantine chapel of Agios Nikolas which contains frescoes dating back to 1326, Costas at the at the Cafeneion is the keyholder and he will be happy to show you the chapel’s beautiful interior.
This quiet village location is just 5 minutes’ drive to the facilities of the small town of Vrisses and 10 minutes to the sandy beaches of Georgioupolis.
Below: Maza village square
BEST OF BOTH WORLDS IN CRETE
You love the idea of splendid isolation in a remote villa, but wouldn’t it be nice to have somewhere lively to stroll in the evening? Here’s the ideal compromise. Villa Maza, which sleeps six, is tucked away on the edge of Maza village (pop:100), in the foothills of the White Mountains, and it’s peaceful as you could wish. A five-minute wander down the track, however, takes you to the main square and one of the best little kafeions in Crete. It’s a couple of gossiping pensioners by day, but in the evening locals flock from miles around for Voula’s simple but excellent home cooking and the banter of chummy Kostas, who has a habit of breaking into song without warning. It’s all rather fab, and the Blue Flag beaches at Giorgopoli are just 10 minutes’ drive away.
The top 10 villa holidays in Greece
Our experts’ pick of the top 10 self-catering and villa holidays in Greece for 2015, in destinations including Crete, Mykonos, Hydra and Póros
5. Apokóronas Village Houses, Crete
The green, hilly Apokóronas region of western Crete is conveniently handy to Haniá airport, and town . We especially like Próvarma village and its Aliki’s House (for up to five), and Villa Aloni (similar capacity, with pool) in tiny Máza hamlet. Many properties have Wi-Fi and are available from late March – both unusual traits for rural Greek villas. Pure Crete offers both flight-inclusive and accommodation-only prices for those preferring to make their own travel arrangements.
Aliki’s House from £803, Villa Aloni from £1,237 (01444 880444;purecrete.com). MD
Weddings can be arranged at this Villa, click here for more information